Select how you would like to share this page.

Washington Apple Health: Financial Assistance for Mental Health and Addiction


What is ADATSA (Washington State's Alcoholism and Drug Addiction Treatment and Support Act)?

Until December 31, 2013 ADATSA was the program Washington State residents turned to in need of Drug, Alcohol, and Mental Health related financial assistance. Although the ADATSA program is no longer operational (the State ACT however is still intact) it has since been replaced by a new program called the Washington  AppleHealth Program. The AppleHealth Program is a health insurance program designed for low-income or below poverty line income persons or families and replaces the previous Washington State Medicaid Program provided under ADATSA.  

"Washington Recovery Helpline", a service of Crisis Connections (formerly known as the Crisis Clinic), employs knowledgeable staff and volunteer workers who can help with questions, qualifying or referral lists for providers accepting "AppleHealth Program" insurance. 

This anonymous and confidential help line provides crisis intervention and referral services for residents of Washington State. 24-hour emotional support is provided with the help of professionally trained volunteers and staff. Additional offerings include local treatment resources and other community services, including substance abuse, problem gambling and mental health. The program is funded by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services' Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery.

For information and help contact:

Washington Recovery Help Line
24-Hour Help for Substance Abuse, Problem Gambling & Mental Health
206.461.3219 (TTY)
Language interpretation available
[Email Washington Recovery Help Line]

Get online help:

  • Quick links and resources,

  • Latest information and articles

  • Treatment providers and support groups or agencies

Find support or someone to talk to for family members regarding:

                - Substance Abuse
                - Problem Gambling
               -  Mental Health

Healthcare Changes & the "Affordable Care Act"

With the new implementation of healthcare reform under the "Affordable Care Act", it is now federally mandated that all persons have some form of health insurance or incur a financial penalty. Washington State is on board to help Washington State residents find and purchase a plan that is right for each individual. There are a few options to choose from depending on financial status.  This information is accessible online at

For many who are employed, not much will change because they will sign up under the options provided by their employer. For others who need to choose their own healthcare provider a new tool has been created to help shop and compare to make an informed choice. For those who qualified previously for Medicaid or fall below a certain income level, there is a free or low-cost option called the "Apple Program" as mentioned above.  

The "Apple" program is designed for those who were previously Medicaid insured, low-income or below poverty line income persons or families and replaces the previous Washington State Medicaid Program. This includes the replacement of the ADATSA Program. All of this information can be reviewed at Washington State's resource website

Enrollment for the AppleHealth Program is year-round.  If you need to find a drug-,alcohol-, or mental health related service and need to know who accepts Apple insurance, please contact Washington Recovery Help Line at 1-866-789-1511. They have a database of providers and can further assist you and research a provider closest to you. 

To find out if you qualify for the Apple Program, call Washington Recovery Help Line for further assistance. You will be asked to provide your social security number, income and other information. Response whether or not you qualify can often times be obtained in less than an hour.  

If you need to contact someone at Medicaid for more information, you can reach them at the Medicaid Hotline 1(800) 562-3022.

You can download the Washington State Directory of Certified Mental Health, Substance Use Disorder, and chemical dependecy agencies by clicking here.

The State of Washington will pay for drug abuse treatment or alcoholism treatment (grouped together under "chemical dependency treatment" of alcoholics and addicts) who lack financial resources under the Apple Program. The application process can now be done online with results in less than an hour.

Treatment is provided at treatment centers, facilities that have contracted with the state and the nature of treatment to be provided is defined by the state.

For specific regulations, read the provisions of the Washington Administrative Code (WAC) using the hyperlink shown below.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Counseling Washington is NOT a Washington State Agency and we provide the following as "information" only.  The links presented in this document will help those in need of drug, alcohol or mental health related assistance reach the right state office to process their request.  The Department of Social and Health Services in Washington State (DSHS) is responsible for processing these types of requests.

Important Related Links

Chapter 388-800 WAC: Chemical dependency assistance programs. This explains the law that covers all aspects of chemical dependency assistance programs in Washington State. Who is eligible? What happens if you are determined to be eligible? Would I go to inpatient treatment or outpatient treatment? What groups receive priority for Drug-, and Alcohol-related services? Are there cash benefits? What happens if I drop out of treatment? What are shelter services? What is a protective payee?

The Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery (DBHR) is that branch of the Washington State department of Social & Health Services (DSHS) that administers Substance Abuse Services and Mental Health Services in Washington State.

Apply for assessment and treatment services through your local DSHS Community Services Office (CSO). Find your local CSO office on-line.

Clean and Sober Housing resourses:  Transitional Housing Org.

King County Behavioral Health and Recovery Division


How helpful is this web page to you?

not helpful
very helpful